Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter's Solitude

A peaceful winter day.


2 comments:

Sarah Goblot said...

Peaceful, but I don't think of these as expressing solitude. There is so much life to these shots, particularly the second!

Heidi Brand said...

Thanks Sarah, I guess it all depends on how one defines solitude.


From dictionary.com
1. the state of being or living alone; seclusion: to enjoy one's solitude.
2. remoteness from habitations, as of a place; absence of human activity: the solitude of the mountains.
3. a lonely, unfrequented place: a solitude in the mountains.

I would say the angel as being alone, lonely, secluded.

I also think of the berries and bare branches of the bush and being lonely and secluded by the snow and habitation is direct contrast to a thriving garden that would have visitors.

Or these definitions:

sol·i·tude (sŏl'ĭ-tōōd', -tyōōd')
n.

1.The state or quality of being alone or remote from others.
2.A lonely or secluded place.

I think garden in the winter is definitly a lonely place secluded in the snow.